November 24, 2006

Oilers/Hawks Tonight

I'm off to my first Oilers game of the season tonight. Not really notable except that my wife and I are taking our two oldest kids to an Oilers game for the first time. Obviously going to watch the Oil is always something to look forward to, and I go as often as is possible, but when the guys you're watching on the ice are the same age as you the mystique of an NHL game kind of disappears. But knowing how much my kids have been looking forward to this brings back memories of every game my Dad took me to as a kid. Back then there was absolutely nothing greater than finding an Oilers ticket in a birthday card or a Christmas stocking. So, for the first time in a long time I'm actually giddy about going to a game. I can't wait to see how much they enjoy it.

As for the game itself, it's not really a game I would usually be primed about attending. I always prefer going to the BOA or other big rivalries, but these days you go to whatever game you can actually get tickets to.

This is a must win. If they lose it could be one of those games we'll look back to in April, wishing they had 2 pts coming down the stretch. I'm expecting a 4-1 win (Sykora, Smyth, Hemsky, Stoll).

1 comment:

Eric said...

Well the kids loved it. Their interest did wane a bit at times, but I can't blame them. Row 51 doesn't exactly make you feel like you're part of the action. But 5 goals and a win to cheer about was pretty fun for them. And kids always like the wave, which made it around 3 or 4 times (I'm going to have a different post about the wave).

The game itself was pretty good. I didn't like how the Oil let off the gas in the second, but it did give Roli a chance to shine again.